HATHA YOGA RETREAT IN ITALY
Two Yoga Retreats in Sicily to choose from:
Week I: April 28-May 5, 2018 (day trips to nearby towns and yoga twice daily)
Week II: May 5-May 12, 2018 (emphasis is on moderate day hikes and yoga twice daily)
Join Fran on a unique yoga holiday in the ancient, spiritual, and romantic setting of Sicily. Two weeks to choose from! Enjoy a week’s stay at the beautiful relaxing Villa Saracena. Experience yoga twice daily on the serene grounds of the villa overlooking Mt. Etna and the Bay of Catania. Taste mouth-watering sun-kissed Sicilian meals made by our own private chef. Enjoy exciting daily outings such as a day at a cooking school in Modica (Week One) or a visit to see the ancient mosaics in Piazza Amerina (Week Two). Retreats are small in size, each one limited to 10 participants, ensuring lots of attention during the yoga sessions and a very unique experience. Temperatures in Sicily may range from the 60s to lower 70s.
Both weeks below accommodate all levels of Hatha Yoga. Yoga will be held twice daily. The morning sessions are generally more active than the late afternoon sessions, which are more relaxing. As many sessions as possible will be held outside overlooking Mt. Etna. In the event of rain, we will practice in a covered area of the villa, where we still have a view of Mt. Etna and the Bay of Catania. For Week Two, some of the afternoon sessions will be held outdoors in various natural outdoor settings during our hikes.
View a short video of the Hatha Yoga Retreat in Sicily! These photos reflect what you can expect on your journey.
Daily Outings Include
- Sunday: A visit to a ricotta farm, includes a homemade lunch with the owners of the farm in the Sicilian countryside. We’ll pass fields of wild red poppies on our drive there (one hour drive)
- Monday: Guided walking tour in Siracusa/Ortigia. Includes the archaeological park (Siracusa is a UNESCO World Heritage Site) 30-minute drive from the villa to Siracusa/Ortigia
- Tuesday: A day at a Cooking School in Modica with Chef Pippo Barone (Spring Menu) This outstanding cooking school and restaurant is Fattoria delle Torri. After the cooking school, you will have free time to explore Modica on your own. One hour drive
- Wednesday: Second visit to Ortigia (No guides so you have a free afternoon to explore this magical place on your own). This is a good shopping day, with time to stroll in the market or sit at a cafe and people watch. Map of the city provided. We’ll enjoy lunch together in the market at the very popular and beloved Borderi Panini. The line is an hour long, but I arrange for a short cut! (30 minute drive)
- Thursday: Boat trip and free time to explore the quiet seaside town of Brucoli. (30-minute drive)
- Friday: Visit the fish market in Catania, called “A Piscaria” in Sicilian dialect, a magnificent, colorful, noisy happening place.
- Sunday: Piazza Amerina to see the mosaics at Villa Romana del Casale, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. 1.5 hour drive to Piazza Amerina. Next we drive to Caltagirone (35 miles from Piazza Amerina) to see this famous ceramic town with its “142 ceramic tiled steps to heaven”! We’ll do our walking in this area.
- Monday: Afternoon Nature Walk and Yoga at Vendicari Nature Reserve. Yoga will be held outside at the Tonnara of Vendicari, the 18th Century Tuna Fishery Ruins. Prior to doing yoga, you will have your choice to explore with one of two guides: one guide specializes in birding link to birding and the other guide specializes in archaeology. You are also welcome to walk around on your own. (one hour drive)
- Tuesday: Longer day trip to Mt Etna where we will hike near the volcano (only if it is safe to do so, otherwise we will find a safer hiking trail). Visit Taormina and Castelmola (1.5 hour drive)
- Wednesday: Visit Noto and hike nearby Cava Carosello, a gorge where we hike along a river trail (optional swim weather permitting). 45 minute drive
- Thursday: Afternoon archaeological-trekking tour in nearby Pantalica, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Yoga class at the ruins at sunset, visit a winery with wine tasting and dinner. (half hour drive)
- Friday: Visit Siracusa and Ortigia. Afternoon hiking in Plemmirio Nature Reserve and Yoga class at sunset. (half hour drive)
Arrival and Departure Information
- Please book flights to and from Catania Airport (NOT Palermo Airport unless you plan to visit Palermo). Our villa is half hour from the Catania Airport.
- On your arrival day Saturday, April 28 for Week I and on May 5 for Week II, a chartered bus (private) will pick up the whole group from the Catania airport at 3:30pm to take us to the villa. Please be at the Catania Airport at 3:30pm.
- On your departure day Saturday, May 5 for Week I and May 12 for Week II, we will leave the villa at 9am. We will be at the Catania airport by 9:30am-10am. Please schedule your flights accordingly.
- Please NOTE: If you book a flight that arrives later than 3:30pm or departs before 10am, you will be responsible for covering your transportation. I will connect you with a reliable taxi service that knows our location and works. Their cost is 75 Euros with a 10% surcharge if their transportation service is between 10pm and 8am.
$3350 per person Single Room with a shared bath with one other Single Room (only one such room remaining for Week Two)
$3500 per person Room with ensuite bath, double occupancy.
Cost includes lodging, all meals, activities and outings/entrance fees to destinations, yoga sessions, transportation/driver, airport pick up and drop off as a group at specified times above, English speaking guides, and hiking guides. Cost includes house wines from local Planeta Winery when dinners are served at the villa.
Cost does not include airfare. In general, cost does not include alcohol when dining out in restaurants (though sometimes wine is included with the meals at restaurants). If you arrive/depart outside of the organized airport/villa transfer time, you are responsible for covering your transportation.
Each retreat is limited to 10 participants. A non-refundable deposit of $1000 will reserve your spot. The deposit is due by February 20, 2018. Please specify whether you would like to attend Week I or Week II. Balance is due by March 20, 2018, and is non-refundable as of March 20. Please register asap to reserve your spot. Please make checks payable to Fran Gallo and mailed to the address below:
Fran Gallo 7850 East Green Lake Drive, N., Unit 302, Seattle, WA 98103
Your Travel Team
Fran Gallo: Yoga Instructor and Retreat Organizer, founder of the Yoga in Sicily Retreats. Fran looks forward to sharing her love of Sicily and Yoga with you!
Giorgio Modica: Giorgio Modica lives in the town of Modica! He is my on-site Sicily assistant. Giorgio lived in Canada for many years and is very proficient in English. He will accompany us to the ricotta farm and he will be your translator at the cooking school in Modica (Week One).
It takes a village to run a yoga retreat in Sicily with daily outings. Alessandro Rustico, Federico Militello, Fabrizio Giudice, Eleonora Formica are our guides. I believe you will be delighted by the colorful personalities who will give you an enriched experience during your Sicily Yoga Retreat.